Bridging the Justice Gap
Header image

Court Self-Help Centers

Another way of getting help (but not legal advice) is to go to the Court Self-Help Centers in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. The centers are staffed with skilled court employees dedicated to helping court users fill out forms and providing information about how court procedures work. The staff at Self-Help Centers cannot provide legal advice.

Hennepin County offers services at two walk-in Self-Help Centers.  The Self-Help Center at the Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis provides information to those going through court in Hennepin County for most matters (except family law).  (612-348-9399—a recording.) The Family Court Self-Help Center at the Family Justice Center serves individuals and families going through Hennepin County Family Court.  Learn more about the services available here.

There are also two Self-Help Centers in Ramsey County.  At the Self-Help Center located in the Ramsey County Law Library, volunteer attorneys are available to provide brief consultations on Housing and Conciliation (Small Claims–$15, 000 limits) Court matters on Tuesdays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on a walk-in basis.  Find more information here.  Additionally, there is a Family Court Self-Help Service Center available at the Juvenile Justice Center in St. Paul.  Access more information about the resources available to you at the Family Court Self-Help Center here.

Self-help workstations are located in each courthouse in Minnesota, and they also provide “live help” for people trying to utilize court forms on the internet at Once on the internet, the user can telephone staff at the statewide Minnesota Court Self-Help Center for help with the forms (651-259-3888).