Bridging the Justice Gap
Header image

Family Court

If you’re getting a divorce, or if you have a child custody or child support dispute, you need to know about the Family Courts in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. These courts are physically separate from the courthouses that handle criminal and civil cases. Additionally, there are special rules that apply in these courts—the most important is that if you’re handling your own case (called appearing “pro se”), the court staff needs to review any papers you plan to file before you’ll be allowed to actually file the papers. This means that you’ll need to get to the courthouse during the hours when staff are available to look at the paperwork. The hours are limited, so make sure you call to get the hours before heading to the courthouse. You may need to get off work and you’ll probably have to wait in line.

Attorneys volunteer at Family Courts in both Hennepin and Ramsey Counties.
Contact the Hennepin Family Court Self-Help Center (612-596-1067) and Ramsey County Family Court Self-Help Service Center (651-266-5125) to verify the days of the week and times when attorneys will be available.