Bridging the Justice Gap
Header image

Housing Court

If you have a landlord-tenant dispute—such as an eviction, or problem with heat or water service or a landlord who won’t help keep a noisy neighbor quiet—the problem will be decided in Housing Court. Hennepin and Ramsey Counties each have their own separate housing courts. The person hearing your housing dispute is a Judicial Referee, who will make a written report to the a District Court Judge, who then enters a court order making the Judicial Referee’s report a legal decision.

Legal Aid in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties have lawyers who specialize in housing law.
Additionally, in Hennepin County, attorneys are at the Housing Court every morning from 8:30-noon, with people who have court that day getting priority.

In Ramsey County, attorneys and law students are available to meet for up to a half hour on Tuesdays 1-4 p.m.